for October- November 2003
December 6, 2003
Recall Activities of Prior Periods
- The students of 2002-2003 who appeared for the public
exams at Standard 12 level have done well.
- For the year 2003-2004, 53 school students from UKG to
Standard 12 have been selected.. Many of these students aspire to
become engineers, science, commerce and arts graduates and
- The SAC (Support A Child) programme for fund raising
was adopted by ASHA Chennai to help support individual ASHA scholars
by individual donors. The details of this is on the website http://www.ashanet.org/chennai/projects/scholarships_files/scholarsData.htm
- The first disbursement of funds for this year was made
on August 15, 2003. This event was reported in the local press –
“Adyar Times” Weekly Newspaper with a photograph.
- Student mentoring has been given importance.
Activities in October 2003 –
- ASHA Scholarship projected funds requirement for
2003-2004 has been raised completely. A part of the funds raised is
already on its way to India.
- On November 2, 2003, a meeting of the ASHA scholars
from Standard 11 and above along with the senior students of Sowbagya
Trust was conducted. It provided very useful insights into college fee
structures and some insight into how the students of the Higher
(Standard 11 and 12) were planning for higher education.
- The reports of mid-term performances of students have
started trickling in. Most reports so far are quite encouraging.
- Some children need more attention and follow-up. For
instance, one child has reported the results incorrectly and the
Guardian has also not reported honestly. This particular child needs
to be attended to. In the case of another child who was not doing well
in Standard 10, thanks to the alertness of the nominator and the
honesty of the child, ASHA could intervene at the right time. This
girl child is now receiving after-school support and her performance
has improved considerably.
Planned Activities in December 2003 and January 2004
As the projected funds has already been raised, a few students recommended
from the projects in suburban areas like, Project Dream, Project Tea Trust
and Project Build may also be included as ASHA Scholars, if approved by
the Chennai core volunteers.
- The next round of disbursements and mentoring is scheduled for early
- The sponsor to student matching table is almost complete and will be
posted on the website soon.
- Performance reports will be coming in from all students by
- A format for reporting to the sponsors is being drafted.
- Planning to get the first report to the sponsors by mid January
- Details of Amounts disbursed and the Children supported are in a